Wednesday, September 5, 2012


Chalkboard Serving Platter


I picked this platter up at a thrift store for a $1.50.  Other than that I already had all the supplies at home.  At first I wasn't sure what I'd end up doing with it, but I hung it above my sink.  You can also use it for a serving tray, with writing what items are on the tray in chalk.

Supplies
Wire and wire clippers are optional.  Make sure what ever primer you purchase that it will adhere to metal and glass surfaces.  I am a big fan of Valspar paint products, I have yet to have any issues with them.

First spray the surface that you want to paint with chalkboard paint.  If the surface you are spraying is smooth, one coat is fine.  My platter had detailed graved into it, so I had to do two coats.  It only took an hour to dry, then I applied my first coat of chalkboard paint.

I used a paint brush with soft bristles and applied one coat of chalkboard paint, keeping the paint strokes going to the same way.  After letting it dry for an hour or so, I applied another light coat of chalkboard paint making sure to apply the paint in opposite strokes as before.  It will first appear grainy, but after drying it will smooth out.

After applying your last coat of paint, allow to dry over night.  After drying, take the chalk and cover the entire chalkboard in chalk.  Wipe away chalk with a lightly damp paper towel, and you are ready!!

I chose to make a little whole in my chalk piece, and hang wire through it so I can hang it to the platter for easy use.

I could go nuts with chalkboard paint!!

Simple, cheap and fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment